Thursday, January 15, 2015

My girls

With school back in full force, it's just the girls and me at home during the day.  Sophie has preschool twice a week for a couple of hours, and when she is gone, Hannah either naps or accompanies me on errands that are easier to do with just one child (read: every errand in the history of the world). 

My girls are at great ages.  Sophie had a rough couple of months.  Let's just say four and a half was not being kind to her--lots of drama, crying, disobedience, defiance, that sort of stuff, but I am thrilled to report that the last few weeks have been dramatically better!  Sophie has been so sweet and helpful for the most part.  She does her chores well, she works hard to be considerate and thoughtful, and she is very good to Hannah.  When I ask her to do something like play with Hannah even when she'd rather be doing something else, her facial expressions tell a little story that goes something like this "I don't want to.  But wait, maybe I should even if I don't want to.  But I don't want to.  But I will, because that's the right thing to do.  Quick, I should smile so it looks like I am happy about it.  I guess I am kind of happy about it after all! (cue genuine smile)"  She's a sweetheart, and I am grateful and happy to have her with me.  I will miss this in the fall when she starts all day school!

Hannah has turned a corner as well, but the other direction!  At 21 months she has already entered the terrible twos!  Deep down inside, Hannah is a happy little ball of sunshine.  And I fully believe that she will return to that state after the terrible twos have run their course.  But for now, she often refuses naps, even though she is tired and we try multiple times a day.  Which means Crazy Hannah comes out to say "hello", or, more accurately, "MINE!  MINE!  NOOOOOOOOO!"  Heaven help us when we get together with other little kids and Hannah has not napped.  It is rough.  But I still do get to see Sweetheart Hannah sometimes, and those times are good times, for sure!  Hannah is talking up a storm, even more so than before.  One of my favorite things about her is that she is exceptionally polite, always saying please and thank you and sorry, and it's especially adorable that she tells us all the time that she loves us.  When I say it first to her, she says in her adorable little munchkin voice, "I wuv you too, Mommy!"

Hannah is growing more independent every day.  She wants to feed herself, put things on herself, read books herself, you name it!  My little baby is growing up!  Her almost-two-year-old-emotions are high, though, and if she is unsuccessful at doing something herself, it ofter induces tears.  The other day she thought she wanted some slippers on her feet, but I guess she wasn't sure.  She tried to get them on to no avail, and then brought them to me.  She put them on my lap and I asked if she wanted to wear them.  She said yes.  I asked her to give me her foot.  She did.  But when I tried to put the slipper on, she would scream and cry.  Repeat about a million times.  Until I finally threw my hands in the air and told her that I had no idea what she wanted and we were done with the slippers.  Then she plodded off to find Sophie.  Ah, two year olds!  Sophie's bed is a day bed with a roll out trundle bed underneath.  Hannah slept on her "big girl bed"--the trundle rolled out--last night for the first time.  It took a while to fall asleep, meaning a lot of out of bed, back to bed nonsense, but finally one time when Michael tucked her in once again, it worked and she fell asleep.  She is pretty adept at climbing out of cribs, so it was time.  What a big girl!

Despite the craziness, I love that my girls want to be with me.  I love that they love when I play with them, read to them, and let them help me with things around the house.  They are sweet, they are funny, they are entertaining and they are loving.  I am one lucky mama!

Sophie showing Hannah a book for shapes that she drew:


My girls snuggling:



Sisters and buddies:



A smooch from Sophie!



Happy that they're about to get candy canes:



Sad that they just got candy canes??


Sophie girl:


Haha, not sure about this one!  No idea why she was plugging her nose!


Hannah showing Sophie what a puppy says (she whispers "Puppy!", then does some doggy panting followed by slobbery puppy kisses!):


Love this one:



These girls make me happy:



Hannah and her daddy:


My Sophie girl and me:



Hannah making her happy face:


And her fishy face:


And her silly face:



In case you really needed to see Hannah's version of what a puppy says, thanks Aunt Kelly, you're a brave woman!



No comments: