Thursday, September 5, 2013

Calvin goes to Kindergarten!

Well, the big day has finally arrived!  Calvin is officially a kindergartener!  Last night Michael was at school, so it was just me and the kids.  We had a low-key dinner of toasted peanut butter and strawberry sandwiches, a little bit of play time, a couple of chapters of Boxcar children, scriptures, prayers, and into bed by 7 for a little reading-in-bed time.  Sophie passed out 2 seconds later, but Calvin and Ryan had fun reading for 45 minutes or so until I told them it was time to go to bed.  I brought Calvin into my room for a little chat and a snuggle.  Ryan was very put out, until I reminded him that we did the same thing on the night before his first day of school :)

So Calvin and I had a little chat about school and friends and what to expect and how to show respect to his teacher.  And then we had a long talk about how his class will only be taught in Spanish, and even though he might not understand the words, he will usually be able to figure things out by watching what Señorita Pedro does with her hands, etc.  Except then his imagination went wild and he started doing crazy hand motions and making up things they might mean.  He was very excited, with pretty much no trepidation at all!  That kind of surprised me, given Calvin's historical glass-half-empty temperament.  We read one final book, "The Night Before Kindergarten", set out his clothes and backpack, and then I tucked him in with an extra song and snuggle.  

In the morning I tried to repeat the process of getting up and ready before Calvin, but I wanted to have all of the pancakes made before I went to get him, and he beat me to the punch!  But he woke up chipper and excited about school and pancakes and the pile of whipped cream Michael squirted right into his mouth from the can!  We had a nice breakfast of pancakes with strawberries and cream and then it was off to get dressed and ready and have mom take MORE pictures!

Eventually we made it out the door and I let Calvin be the dj in the car on the way.  First pick: "Another Postcard" by BNL.  Second pick: Motownphilly by Boys II Men.  Luckily for us, the school switched buildings this year and so now it is even closer, so two songs was all it took, and we were there!  But next on the list would have been "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor, then "Secret Agent Man" by Johnny Rivers, then "Dane of the Sugar Plum Fairy" from the Nutcracker.  At least he has good taste in music!

So we hopped out of the car and snapped a couple of additional pictures.  Calvin was not nervous in the least.  Pure excitement!  There is a rule that the parents are not supposed to walk the kids to their classes, just drop them off at the front lobby, so when we pulled up to parking lot and I started getting out, Calvin even said, "Oh, Mom, you're not coming with me, remember?  Ryan is dropping me off!" So I gave him a hug there in the lobby and watched my boys head off down the hall together.  Ryan had his arm around Calvin's shoulders for a little moral support.  I could still see them when they got to the classroom.  Ryan gave Calvin a "go get 'em tiger" shove towards the door and Calvin strolled right in, happy as a clam.

Calvin is in half day kindergarten, so we had just enough time to go home and get Ryan's backpack, which he forgot, drop it off, and go play at a park for an hour and a half, and then it was already time to go pick him up!  He LOVED it.  He had a great time, and was excited to tell me about all of the kids who sat at his table with him, and how they took a tour of the school, how his spot to hang his backpack is right next to his friend Joey's spot, and how they sang songs.  He said his favorite part was snack time, and when I asked him about his teacher only speaking Spanish to him, he said, "Oh, I understood everything.  Because I watched her HANDS!"  

I'm so proud of my Calvin.  If anyone has ever been immersed in another language that they don't know, you understand how overwhelming it can be.  Not understanding anything takes the energy right out of you.  At the K-start meeting the kids (including Calvin) would all smile and nod, pretending to understand, but it was obvious that they were all totally lost.  So I was really proud of Calvin for figuring out how to understand by watching.  I think I have a bad habit of underestimating my childrens' ability.  When we were getting ready to have Hannah, I had serious concerns about how Sophie would do as a big sister, but she has been nothing but sweet and loving to Hannah.  Same thing with Calvin and kindergarten.  Sure, he's only made it through 2 and a half hours, so maybe I'll eat my words next week, but I thought for sure he'd be overwhelmed and upset, but he did so great!  I should just listen to Michael more, I guess.  He totally called it with both Sophie as a big sister and Calvin as a kindergartener :)

Way to go, Calvin!  You have grown up so much this past year, and we are so proud of the sweet, funny, compassionate boy you are becoming.  We love you!

Here are some pictures from the big first day!


Calvin's clothes, all set out last night.  He was very particular that his socks be placed directly on top of his shoes.


One last picture of my pre-school Calvin:


I acknowledge that I take too many pictures, but it's too late for me to change now.  Here he is, with his confident swagger look:


And an "I love you" sign for me :)


Looking very proud to be big:



Ready to jump!


He loves jumping off of the porch.


Love that sweet smile:



He loves his shark backpack to pieces:


Happy Calvin on the porch:


Ready to go in!


Me and Calvin at the school.  No tears for this Momma.  He was just so excited and happy that there was nothing to be sad about (plus, he is only gone for 2.5 hours every day):


My boys ready to head down the hall:


Off they go!


Calvin's triumphant exit from his first day:


5 comments:

Michael said...

You let him wear socks with sandals!?

He'll never live it down!

Caroline said...

Dude, look closer. Those are tennis shoes.

Michael said...

Ha! you're right!

Caroline said...

Well, then, with our powers combined, we should be able to be right about pretty much everything!

AnnaMarie said...

Awesome pictures! Calvin is so cool.