Sunday, April 29, 2012

Calvin's 4th Birthday

I already posted about Calvin's birthday party, which was last Saturday, but then last Sunday was his actual birthday. He had a great day!  We knew Calvin wanted waffles for breakfast, and since Sunday mornings are always crazy (9:00 church!), we wised up and made the waffles on Saturday night and then just toasted them up in the oven in the morning.  Brilliant!  Calvin was thrilled.  We even had time to open presents before church!  Hooray!

Calvin has the most wonderful teacher at church.  She said he always ends up somehow working "great white sharks" into the conversation during their Sunday school class, so she made him shark cupcakes!  Seriously, they were amazing!  And he totally shrieked for joy when she pulled them out.  He was so very happy, and he felt so special and so loved.  Thanks, Missy!  You are the world's greatest sunday school teacher!  And Calvin also LOVED being sung to in Primary by all the kids.  And he has been looking forward all year to getting his "chews the right" birthday gum at church, and he even shared them with all his friends.  Nice kid.

So we got home and then we grilled up some hotdogs and hamburgers for lunch, and we even personalized them, thanks to this pretty awesome meat branding iron that James got us for Christmas.  Calvin's first move was to nibble his name right off the top. 

We all took naps, which is the mark of a great birthday in my book, skyped with Grandma and Grandpa Walton, talked to lots of wonderful family members on the phone, and had an all around great evening.  Calvin had lots of fun playing with his new toys. 

So, it was a good fourth birthday, and Calvin was a happy little guy. Here are a few things I want to remember about Calvin at four years old:

-He still loves to share.  I think it is so sweet that he almost always offers to share even the things he loves the very most.  Especially if he notices that someone is sad, he will run right over and share whatever it is post haste.
-He loves to run and he thinks he is very very fast.  He pumps his arms like crazy when he runs. I think it makes him think he is going even faster.  He still often strikes a pose before beginning a run, especially if he has someone to show off for. 
-He LOVES to bring me flowers.  They are almost always dandelions, but I still think it is so sweet.  Whenever he sees one, he pretty much HAS to go pick it and give it to me.  The other day he tried to convince me to stop the car and let him get out to collect dandelions for me from a little grassy area next to the freeway off ramp.
-He is a mama's boy through and through.  I don't think he has ever sided against me.  I hope he never does!
-He loves Diego, MarioKart Wii, monster trucks, hotwheels, sharks, legos, toy guns, playing baseball, taking baths, and playing anything with a screen.
-He would never admit it, but he loves to be little.  He is very smart and very capable, but he insists that he can't put his shoes on by himself or tear his sandwich in half by himself, etc., etc., and I am 100% certain that it's because he loves the attention he gets from still acting little. In fact just last night he was putting on his jammies and it was the first time I have ever heard the phrase, "I can do this all by myself, Mom.  I don't need your help."  It kind of made me a little sad!
-Calvin has a very strong sense of injustice.  He still wears his consternated/grumpy face most of the time, and it's usually because he thinks he has gotten the short end of the stick somehow. 
-He is my most affectionate kid, and he will always have a special place carved out in my heart. 

We love you, Calvin buddy!  Happy Birthday!


Here are some pictures from his actual birthday:

Calvin with his shark cupcakes.  Seriously amazing, right?  There were sharks, buoys, life preservers, wave-like frosting, it was so cool!



Blowing out his candle:




About to take a bite of that shark:




Personalized hotdogs!  Awesome, right?

2 comments:

AnnaMarie said...

Seriously cool cupcakes. And hot-dog branding.

I love Calvin, too. He has always had a special place in my heart and always will. Happy 4th birthday, buddy!

Emily said...

Happy birthday Calvin! Those are awesome cupcakes and hot dogs. :) What a sweet little boy.