Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A Real Live Saturday!

This week we had a genuine, real live Saturday at our house!  We haven't had one of those in a while.  We spent all day together as a family and worked on projects around the house and played with the kids.  It was such a wonderful day.  Case in point--later that day Michael was talking about the upcoming deer hunting season and what would happen if he got a deer and I maintained that he would definitely take it to a butcher shop to have it processed while he argued that he could just do it himself.  This is not something I am cool with at all, but I did tell him that he could if in return every Saturday could be a real live Saturday where we do everything together.  That's how much I loved this Saturday!

We took the kids on a walk at the nature center near our house and they all had such a great time.  The boys each had a pair of binoculars and were scouring the forests for animals.  Calvin is a pretty observant, keen-eyed kid (much more so than Ryan) and saw a couple of deer right away off through the trees.  Michael and I didn't even notice them, but Calvin did, and he was very proud of himself.  It was about a million times cooler, however, when later on during our walk a doe walked right out onto the path about 15 feet in front of us to nibble on some leaves.  The kids just stared huge-eyed until she wandered off.  Then a buck came tearing through the trees right after she left, so they were pretty impressed by that, too.  They also saw squirrels and ducks, did some bird calls and had a great time finding colorful leaves and running down the paths.  It was such a great time with our family all together.  I loved it.  What a great Saturday!

Here are some pictures from our lovely outing:

A happy little Sophie girl:


Happy Calvin with his binoculars:


Calvin wandering the trails:


Michael pointing out some nature to the boys:


Love this girl.  When I ask her for a hug she makes this face and runs tome as fast as her little legs can take her.  She is so sweet:


Calvin and Sophie having some tender moments:



 Our kiddos on the trail:





Look, a deer!


 Kids on a fence:




I think this one is funny.  I like her tutu and baby legs hanging out the back:


3 rocks, 3 kids, coincidence?  I think not.


Sophie trying her best to climb a rock:


Happy little Calvin:


Sophie trying to climb on a rock again.  She purses her lips like this sometimes when she's trying really hard to do something:


Then I guess she firgured as long as her lips were that close, she might as well...


And here's my great big Ryan:


 I really got a kick out of these ones of Michael throwing the kids in the air:





Me and my girl:



It was really a wonderful day.  I wish every day could be a real live Saturday!

3 comments:

Emily said...

Your Saturday sounds way better than ours. :) Love the pictures of the kids- especially the one with Calvin in the air. I'm impressed your kids are quiet enough to see deer. Ansley scared them all away. ha. PS I would not be happy about any butchering in my house.

Caity said...

Good luck with that deer! But I'm super glad you had such a great day with your family.

AnnaMarie said...

Somehow I missed this post before. I LOVE the pictures, especially the one of Sophie licking the rock. Haha, what a girl. And I don't think your kids like being tossed in the air. P.S. Don't back down on the butchering thing.