Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Happy Mothers Day!

Happy Mothers Day to all you ladies out there! I had an excellent day, thanks to a very thoughtful husband and some really sweet kiddos.  I slept in and woke up a couple of hours later than usual to the delicious smells of breakfast and the happiest bunch of kid faces you could imagine.  They gave me extra sweet hugs and smooches and some darling cards they had made.  It was a great way to wake up!

Next we had a delicious breakfast made by Michael, of course, followed by an early nap time and a nice, quiet Sunday morning, which is unusual around here!  Next it was some really delicious BLTs for lunch (one of my favorites) and then the kids had a present parade while Michael played the bongos and the kids each brought out a present.  They were so excited and very pleased with themselves!  It was a really great Mothers Day morning!  Thanks Michael for making it so perfect!

Little did I know, my most expensive present was waiting just around the corner...


That's right!  What Mothers day would be complete without a trip to the emergency room?  This does, by the way, happen to be the only picture I got on Mothers Day this year.  I had planned on snapping some with my kids after church, but that didn't really work out!  We were a little busy...

Calvin got his hand closed in one of the very heavy doors at church, and it was pretty gruesome, for me anyways.  Poor little Calvin got the skin scraped off 3 of his fingers from the nail beds down about an inch on the worst one.  I could see where his fingernails actually ended, which was pretty yucky as far as I'm concerned.  Anyways, he of course was terrified and in a lot of pain, and bleeding, so after consulting with some nurses at church, I decided to take him in to have it looked at. 

It was raining buckets, and the drive to the hospital was more than a little stressful.  Calvin was completely beside himself and it was just me and him in the car.  Once we got there, I was able to calm him down a bit in the waiting room by telling him stories.  He mostly just requested the 3 little pigs, so we just told that one over and over again.

At least they got us in quickly and we were soon in a room of our own.  I sat on the hospital bed and just held him in my arms and they just checked him out from my lap, which was nice.  They decided they wanted to take some x-rays, so they just wheeled the bed down the hall.  He thought that was pretty great, getting to ride on a bed.  He liked the x-rays and thought they were pretty cool.  He liked wearing the lead vest, too.  After that, they wheeled us back to the room and he just fell right asleep in my arms, the poor little guy! 

That ended up working out really well, since he was asleep for all the clean up and bandaging, which I'm pretty sure would have really freaked him out, had he been awake.  Turns out he "probably has a small fracture" in one finger (translation--he's fine, and you probably really didn't need to bring him in, but since it's costing you hundreds of dollars, we'll just drop in the word "fracture" to help you feel a little better), and they put him on antibiotics just to prevent any infections. 

So, by the time we were discharged, he had been asleep in my arms for about an hour or so.  He slept until we had just left the building, and I was carrying him out to the car.  He woke up all smiles, looked at his hand with a big grin and said, "HEY!  They didn't even hurt me!"  All the way home he was a happy, smiley little guy talking about riding on a bed and getting kitty cat bandaids and the cool hospital bracelets he got to wear. 

When we got home, Michael had some goodies and a little bed set up for him on the couch with a movie ready.  He way beyond thrilled.  Then we had some delicious shredded pork sandwiches for dinner, and Ryan made dessert for me all by himself (lemon bars, and they were delicious!). 

So, even though there was a small hiccup in the plans, it really was a great Mothers Day.  I feel so blessed to have my family.  Love you guys so much!

3 comments:

AnnaMarie said...

Oh, poor little Calvin. Love that guy. And, just so you know, when I saw the top part of the x-ray picture, the first thing that popped into my head was, "SHE'S PREGNANT!?" and the second was..."I'm so offended that I have to find out from the blog." :) But no, it was an x-ray, not an ultrasound. Haha. Of course, that wouldn't make any sense, because you'd have to be 20-weeks pregnant right now. It's late. Love ya!

Emily said...

Glad it wasn't more serious! Poor Calvin. :( Your meals sound delicious. I'm impressed Ryan knows how to make lemon bars.

Elizabeth said...

Kudos to you for keeping it together even though you could see his nail beds. Gnarly. I probably would have fainted... "sorry kid, you're on your own"