Thursday, January 13, 2011

One down, about a bajillion to go!

So, I have about a million decorating/home improvement projects I've been trying to get done for a while.  And by "trying" I mean "really wanting to have it done but not having the energy to get past step one of any given project...".  But I have finally finished one, so I thought I'd share!

Here it is!








I saw this idea last year on a design blog I follow and I ended up making one for my dad for father's day, since he is really into genealogy.  But then I couldn't get over how cool it looked, and I decided we needed one for our home :)  I designed it using two open source programs, one called Inkscape (similar to Adobe Illustrator but FREE) and the other called Gimp (similar to Adobe Photoshop, but again FREE!).  Michael is the genius around here who knows about all these great free programs and who taught me how to use them :)

Anyways, so I designed the tree and then added our names for the trunk and the names of our ancestors 4 generations back.  Then I found a map I liked from the public domain that represented where these 5 generations of our families came from originally (we have Scandinavia, the British Isles, Mexico and the good old USA, so I went with a cool looking map of the northern hemisphere).  By the way, each person on the tree has a leaf near their name with their birthplace (state or country).


Then I just had it printed really big, then I texturized it to look sort of like canvas, bought some foam core and some mat board, and used a fame I already had and some cool looking fabric for trim around the picture and voila!  Done!  I'm really loving it!  And I think I might start a business selling these, because I think they are that cool!  Want to have one commissioned??

11 comments:

Caity said...

That is very cool! I'm so impressed. I wouldn't even begin to know where to start with a project like this (even with directions). It turned out great!

AnnaMarie said...

I totally think that you should start a company selling these. Like on Etsy!

Tara Winchester said...

I would buy one! that is so neat!

Shayla Taylor said...

I would totally have you do one for me!

Angela said...

Nice Work! It's such a great feeling to get a project finished. :)

Mary said...

I would totally buy one, or two, or three! What an awesome thing to have in your home.

Mary said...

I would totally buy one, or two, or three! Awesome job and what a wonderful piece of art to have in your home.

Nancy said...

I love this! It is amazing! Way to go.

HoltFamily said...

This looks REALLY cool. Way to go!

Sharesa Larsen said...

Yes I want one! So cool! I might just have to figure out how to make one myself, or just wait for you to start a business and make me one!

Ben and Anna said...

I would buy one. I mean, someday. when I have money.