Saturday, January 8, 2011

Ice Skating

Well, this evening we took the kids ice skating for the very first time!  They were really really excited, pretty much until they stepped on the ice with their skates.  Then they got very very serious :)  We went with Christy and Dad and we all had a lot of fun!  By the end Ryan could skate by himself (with the help of that walker-thingy), which was a vast improvement over the beginning, when he was just moving his skates back and forth as fast as he could and not getting anywhere!  And Calvin learned to enjoy himself by the end, until he winded up on the ice with a (slightly) bloody mouth :( poor guy!  But he bucked up with the help of some skittles.  He really didn't want to skate with me at all the whole time, he always wanted to go with Michael or Christy.  And I don't blame him at all--I'm terrible!  It's a miracle I didn't fall down with them!  Sophie sat and watched and was an absolute champ.  She was very interested in the music and the people skating, etc., and didn't make a peep the whole time.  It was especially amazing since I woke her up and got her out of bed to bring her, and it was way past her bed time!  And to cap off the night, Michael beat Christy in an epic ice skating race.  It was a close one, though! 

Dad was the official photographer for the evening, so thanks for all the great pictures!!!  Here are some of my favorites:

Me and Calvin just after stepping onto the ice for the first time.  Love the concern on his sweet little face:



This is about the happiest he got while on the ice.  At least with me...


 Christy showing Ryan the ropes:
 


Cute little wobbly skates:



Is that a hint of confidence I see??



Wait, maybe not...

 

Better stick with the serious face :) He was a good sport, even about falling down.


Calvin with me and Christy :



Michael and Ryan:


I really like this one of Christy and Calvin.  Christy is such a wonderful Aunt.  We love her so much!


Sophie and me hanging out on the bleachers:


Ryan getting some help from Christy and me:


Braving it on his own at the end, and doing pretty well, too!


The kids had a great time.  Especially Ryan, who, on the way home, was saying "That was the most fun I have EVER EVER HAD!!!!"  Anyways, we had a lovely time so thanks for coming with us, Christy and Dad! 

2 comments:

Angela said...

Aww, so cute! Your kids are awesome. Brings back some fun memories of ice skating... :)

AnnaMarie said...

That's awesome!