Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Family

Lately I've been thinking about our little family.  I've been thinking about how I need to be more patient with my sweet little kids and have more fun with them.  Tonight when I tucked Ryan into bed, I told him that I had fun playing with him, to which he replied, "Actually, Mom, you didn't play with me at all today."  I assured him that I had, but even as I was doing that, I was honestly struggling to think of when I actually had played with him today.  It's funny, because I felt like it had been a great day.  My kids were sweet and fun, I got to snuggle Ryan for a while in the beautiful 60 degree weather in the front yard while the other kids napped, I checked a few good things off my to-do list.  Great day in my book.  But for some reason I didn't take the time to make sure I was giving Ryan just a few minutes of fun play time doing what he wanted to do.  It made me sad.

A friend of mine came over today who has 6 kids, most of whom are teenagers.  As I got a small glimpse into her life right now, I realized that my sweet little ones who love me so much and crave my attention so much and want so badly for me to just be with them and do what they're doing all day long will soon be teenagers who probably mostly won't want to hang out with me or have me do what they're doing.  And I know I'll miss it.  So my new goal is to make sure my kids know how much I do love spending time with them.  Dishes can wait.  Dinner can be a half hour later.  I can stop surfing the web for 20 minutes and go play a game.  It's really not that hard.

So, I am re-committed to being a better mom.  I love being a mom, really I do.  I feel so blessed and lucky to be able to spend my days with my little buddies.   I guess it's just a matter of translating the love I feel into love that they'll understand.  Which, I think, is one of the most important tasks of parenthood.  So anyways, here's to being better and trying harder!

On the lighter side, today in honor of the last day of beautifully warm weather, we got all dressed up in coordinating outfits and put forth our best attempt at taking our own family pictures.  Great, huh?  I was thinking about hiring someone to do them, but it seems like the photography world is divided into 2 groups: People whose stuff is affordable, but looks like any old person walking by could have done just as good of a job, and people whose sitting fee is manageable and whose work looks so great, but whose CD of images costs you, like, $600.  On top of the sitting fee.  I just couldn't bring myself to do it!  Anyways, here are my favorites from today.  Yay for a tripod and a timer!













6 comments:

AnnaMarie Ferrell said...

OH, I love those shots you got! Not just anyone on the street could get those, especially with a tripod and a timer! I could have taken some for you guys...but then Jane & Katie would have been in them. Anyhow, I'm with you on the spending quality "them" time. I was just trying to finish raking the yard today, and Katie just NEEDED me to play soccer with the big red ball with her. After putting her off again and again, I finally took a break, and it felt so good. That's the first thing she told Tyler when he got home. You're right, it's not hard, and it really doesn't take very much time, but it really pays off. Good luck to both of us!

Ben and Anna said...

Those actually turned out really great! I have been trying, every day, to do just what you are saying. I mean, I only have 2 kids, and they are pretty self entertained...this means that I have a LOT of spare time...and I shouldn't. I should be spending that spare time with them.

Sharesa Larsen said...

These are awesome! Also I am feeling your same thoughts on being a mother. I am having a hard time juggling everybody and everything, I think it is just baby #3, or at least I am hoping that is the difference and struggle. So I am with you on the recommitting part, see I am leaving your blog and going to play with S!

Angela said...

So cute! I love all the pictures. :) Sounds like you guys pull the same self-timer, tripod tricks that we do. :)We used to put a piece of candy on top to get the kids to look. One of these days we'll hire someone- maybe you should come live by us and then we can hire you! And I loved all your thoughts on motherhood- it's so true, one day we'll be wishing for these busy days back.

Janelle Dobson said...

"Showing them love in a way they can understand it" What a profound statment. We forget sometimes that although we cook and clean, and put them to sleep on time, and give them shots- all signs of our love that they don't understand it that way. We need to speak their love language. Thank you for reminding me of that. It is also my goal to be better at that. Thanks for this post. You're a GREAT mom!

Brice and Fallon said...

Seriously - I read your blog all the time and admire what a good mom you are! You are amazing. And the pictures....darling!