Wednesday, October 6, 2010

6 months!

 
My sweet little Sophie bug turned 6 months old today.  I took her to her appointment, all excited to see how much weight she's gained since she's been pretty much eating solid foods non-stop (as in all-day, every day) for over 2 months.  Turns out she grew almost an inch and a half, yet lost 3 ounces.  Huh?  How is that even possible?!?  Seriously, if you know her, you know how much she eats!  Anyways, the doctor just said they're not really worried about weight loss or gain as long as it's not too unusual, and as long as she's growing vertically, she's doing fine.  So, I guess it's nothing to worry about.  But I really am dumbfounded as to how it happened.  Anyways, she's right on track with everything else and was super duper happy and smiley for everyone in the office until the needles came out.  Then she was the saddest baby ever.  Poor, poor Sophie.  But at least she probably won't get the flu!


Sophie is full of personality, and I love having her as my little buddy.  Some of Sophie's trademarks at 6 months are:

-She still LOVES to eat.  And when I say "loves", I don't mean she's all smiles and just really enjoys doing it.  I mean she eats and eats and eats and eats and screams when you take too long spooning the food into her mouth.  A couple of times when I'm been really tired of all the screaming, I've resorted to putting the food in a ziploc baggie, cutting off the corner and squeezing it into her mouth.  Then she's pretty satisfied with life.  Today in one sitting at lunch she ate a FULL kids ikea bowl of applesauce (about 6 ounces), one and a half containers of baby carrots, half a kids ikea bowl of cereal (about 3 ounces), and nursed before and after.  And screamed. A lot.

Here's Sophie losing a little of her food...all over poor AnnaMarie.  What a good sport.  I really, really really love this picture.  Ha!





-Sophie is a screamer  This is a fairly recent development.  She has this high pitched scream that she uses for everything.  Playing on the floor with toys happily, alerting me to a dirty or even barely wet diaper, hungry, angry, tired.  She uses her one scream to communicate all of these things.  Sophie is usually either quiet or screaming.  Sometimes when she is very happy and entertained, she will babble and chat with someone.  But usually it's screaming.  Tonight, for instance, Sophie had the worst screaming fit I've ever heard her have.  I went through my mental list of what it could be, besides being sore from her shots today.  I frantically changed diapers, spooned her food, nursed her, rocked her, but to no avail.  Eventually I figured out that all she really wanted was for me to lie down next to her so she could play with my face for about a half an hour.  Tears and screaming stopped immediately, and she was the sweetest little baby anyone could imagine.  I wonder how she'll use this screaming talent once she can talk...


I love this one.  This is Sophie's "What's going on?" face:




-Sophie is developing some awesome new smiles.  Definitely taking after Calvin in this department.  One of her new smiles looks exactly like the classic scrunchie-faced Calvin smile. Her other new smile is pretty much exactly like her Grandpa Moore's smile. I love seeing her experiment with her new expressions.  She obviously thinks she is very clever and funny.  And she is!  She even stopped eating in her high chair today at one point to give me one of these new smiles (she has never ever done this even once before).  She's such a funny little girl!

Sophie with her "Calvin smile":



-Sophie is very resourceful.  She gets around (when very motivated) by putting her face on the ground, lifting herself up with her forehead, and digging her feet into the ground so she can kind of scoot forward.  It's very funny to watch.  She also uses her forehead to kind of get up on all fours, which lasts usually for like half a second.

Sophie checking out a leaf:


No, she's not really standing at all yet.  She did have her knees locked in this position long enough for me to snap a picture of her great outift, though. 



-Sophie is a Daddy's girl.  She loves Michael so much.  She pretty much would usually rather go to him, unless she wants to nurse, of course.  And what's not to love?  He lets her be his little buddy sitting next to him while he works, he sneaks her all sorts of delicious foods, he has glasses, which Sophie LOVES to play with, and much much more.

Sophie also has her Daddy's blue, blue eyes:



-Sophie loves her brothers and cousins and (as long as she's fed and not too tired) smiles the biggest, longest and fastest for those guys than for anyone else.  She is enthralled.  Ryan is especially good with her and tries so so hard to please her.  It's really sweet.

I really love this one Sophie and Ryan this evening:



-Sophie still loves a good diaper change.  The boys never alerted me to their need for a diaper change.  I always had to either smell something, feel something wet, or realize that it had been a while in order to realize they needed a change.  Sophie, on the other hand, is very particular about the state of her diaper, and lets me know immediately when she is dissatisfied with things in that department.  And she is usually all smiles and crazy leg kicks during and after.






We love Sophie so, so much.  She is such a sweetheart.  I am so very glad to have her as my daughter.

3 comments:

AnnaMarie Ferrell said...

Aww, what a sweetie. And that one of Sophie and me is hilarious! :) I was just about to give her a nice smooch, too, then she had to go and get that all over me. You got some really good ones of her in the park! Love you, Sophie!

Caity said...

She sure is cute! And she is lucky to have you for a mom! And the doctors always bug me about the weight gain stuff with Lydia too, but every child is different and they even out eventually. Cute pics by the way!

Ben and Anna said...

She is adorable! As for the screaming....yeah. Jay does that CONSTANTLY. I think I have ear damage and consequent vertigo because of it. and even now, at 2, he still does it in moments of high emotion...any kind of high emotion....yeah. good luck with that! :)