Monday, September 13, 2010

First Day of Preschool

Well, Ryan had his very first day of preschool this afternoon and boy was he excited.  I took him to Old Navy this morning and let him pick out a new shirt.  I took him to Old Navy for 2 reasons.  One, there was a 30% off one item coupon online.  Two, Ryan does the most ridiculous dance moves in Old Navy.  Really, the second he walks in the door and hears the music, he starts bobbing his head in a weird way and from then on it just escalates until he is just really getting down.  It is pretty much the funniest thing I have ever seen.  While we looked at different shirt options he would focus for a while and then just break out in crazy dance moves.  Oh Ryan, I love you.

But back to the subject at hand.  So, Ryan was all set for preschool in his brand new shirt and his new Lightening McQueen shoes and his backpack (er, Calvin's backpack.  That he got for Christmas. Don't tell him).  He felt genuinely grown up.  If you've ever met Ryan, then I'm sure you know that he doesn't have a shy bone in his body and that he has never felt one iota of separation anxiety, so he was all set.  I drove him over to his preschool and we walked inside holding hands, talking about how fun it would be.  Then he looked up at me with his sweet little face and said, "Mommy, I love you.  I'm really going to miss you."  Then he hurried down the hall and bounded into his classroom, grinning from ear to ear.  It was very sweet.  And I know, it's not even real school, but I felt like my boy grew up a little right before my eyes today.

He had a fabulous time at preschool and said his very favorite part of the day was helping the other children glue things onto their pictures because "some of them don't know how to glue things on!  But some of them do..."  To this, Michael responded, "You know, Ryan, maybe we should have looked into the advanced placement program for you..."  When I asked Ryan what his least favorite part was, he thought for a long time and finally said, "Uh...going to the bathroom...cuz I didn't really like that too much..." 

Here's Ryan, showing off his backpack before leaving:



And here he is jumping off the porch...


 Sitting with Mom for a picture:


And a smooch:



And here he is with his teacher, Miss Jenny:

 
And doing his first official scholastic task--writing his name on a piece of paper.  He's in full concentration mode. 




Way to go, my great big preschooler!  We love you, Ryan!

3 comments:

Abbeyfan said...

Yay for Ryan! That's a fun blog post for you guys. I remember when Michael was really excited to go to school with his new backpack and a new shirt and shoes. But that was when he was a sophomore in high school.

AnnaMarie Ferrell said...

Aww, Ryan's the best!

Elizabeth said...

*tears*

I remember watching Ryan for you guys when he was just a few months older than Elliot! I can't believe how big and smart he is!!! Gah!

Also, I gave Michael the wrong address by one number... Our PO Box is 324 not 374... but it's a REALLY small town, so the lady at the Post Office just holds my packages, and gives them to me when I get there. So no big deal, just wanted to update you.