Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Back Home

Well, we made it back from our lovely trip up north and settled back in to real, post-holiday life. To be honest, this is what real, post-holiday life has been looking like lately:



This would be the boys watching the movie "Up" for the millionth time. Calvin affectionately refers to it as "SnipeDoggieBalloon!" Every time he wakes up from a nap, he says, "Wan watcha boobie!" But don't worry, that's just Calvin talk for movie. And when Michael comes home from work and asks Calvin what he did all day, Calvin's only response is "Snipe! Doggie! BALLOONS!!!!" Thank heavens for AnnaMarie and Tyler living so close! A few times a week we throw a little of this into the mix, and life gets exponentially better:




WE HAD OUR BABY!!!

(Just kidding. Not ours!)

Sure, there's a lot more yelling, but for some reason it's so much easier than just my own kids yelling! Call me crazy. Anyways, we've been loving having Katie and Jane and AnnaMarie come over and hang out with us, and it definitely saves my sanity, so thanks for coming over, guys! I promise to try harder to have everyone ready by 7:30 in time to take Michael to work so I can have the car and we can actually go to your house some time :)

So, in other news, I've been getting pregnant-er. Here I am at 27 weeks, which really sounds like I'm not even close to being done at all. *sigh* The constant eating of tums and lack of sleep will be getting pretty old come April. At least Michael is a very sweet husband and surprised me the other night by buying me a big body pillow, and ever since then I've been sleeping much better, so thanks, honey! [Michael Edit: I hate that pillow. She always snuggles it instead of me. She sleeps better with it though, so I guess I'll live with it....for now.]


Lately I've also been realizing that my boys can be really good helpers when they're in a good mood. And when they're given the right incentives. One day I asked Ryan if he wanted to earn some skittles by cleaning up his room. It was amazing to watch that boy work! Now every day he asks if he can "do that thing...where I work...for stuff...with candy..." and so I think up some chore that is easy enough for him to do. He really thinks it's fun! Which is great for me, and I am finding that even when a reward is not involved, he is getting a lot better at helping do chores. Today he put away dishes, cleaned up the living room, and put all the books away just because I asked him if he wanted to help. He's such a good boy! And Calvin, bless his little heart, tries to help out in any way he can. I don't even have to ask him to help with the dishes. Every time I open the dishwasher he starts grabbing silverware and tossing it in the silverware drawer for me. And he about died with satisfaction yesterday when I asked him if he wanted to help roll out the tortillas I was making. See that face? That's a happy boy!



Anyways, I count myself very lucky to have such good, helpful, sweet boys.

So, were you all wondering what Ryan's new favorite thing to do is? Well, for Christmas my sister Danica really hit the jackpot with the present she gave him-- a Lego garage door set. That's right. G*A*R*A*G*E D*O*O*R. He is in love. When we were up in Ironwood, Grandpa was gracious enough to let us take home a bunch of Legos to use with it, and Ryan seriously could play with it all day without stopping to eat, drink, or sleep. He does still take bathroom brakes, luckily. Last night he was very grumpy and wanted to play with it, and I told him no, but that when he woke up in the morning if he could get out of bed very quietly and not wake up Calvin, I would let him play with it for a while. 6:00 AM on the dot, that kid comes (quietly) bouncing into our room, soooo excited for his garage door time. Anyways, here he is, loving his garage door:




Calvin's new favorite thing is being a shaving buddy. He was so enthralled by Ryan's shaving kit that we ended up finding one for him, too (thank you target clearance-- $2.50!). He now runs around the house periodically yelling "SHAVING BUDDY!!!! SHAVING BUDDY!!!!" He loves anything that makes him feel like a big boy, and this certainly does the trick. Here he is, trying out his new razor:




And last but not least, some pictures that I hadn't posted yet from our trip up to Ironwood:

This was Ryan's face when we explained to him about decorating the gingerbread house...WITH CANDY!


This is Calvin, really loving juice:


Grandpa, Jane and AnnaMarie enjoying some New Year's Eve snacks:



Abbey and AnnaMarie putting together the gingerbread house:


And, of course, Ryan reunited with his true love, the garage door opener:

3 comments:

Derek, Rachel and Cadence said...

I love your family!!! Your pictures and stories are great. How do you get your kids in such good poses?!

AnnaMarie Ferrell said...

What a great post. I LOVE the ones with Ryan playing with his garage door. :) We love coming there, too, and if my girls fall asleep every day on the way home and sleep for a few hours at the same time, I'll drive there every day!

Elizabeth said...

Your boys are just too cute, I can't wait to see your little girl!!! :)
P.S. I'm glad Calvin likes his ... "chicken nugget", is it?