Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Homemade vs. Store Bread

We usually make our own bread. We've got a bread maker, and ususally make 3-4 loaves a week. Once in a while if we're really busy (say, replacing pipes) we'll buy store bread. Since we're cheap, and our boys aren't very discerning, we buy the $1.50 white bread -- unless there's something cheaper available.

As I ate my PB&J today I realized that when you get store bread, it's basically a thin shell on whatever kind of sandwhich you're eating. It's just a wrapper that keeps the jelly from getting on your fingers. This isn't really a bad thing, since the bread doesn't taste like much and you don't want jelly to get everywhere.

Homemade bread is a meal by itself. When you eat a sandwich made of homemade bread you actually need to bite and chew. If you could buy homemade bread at the store, you could stick it in the bag with the pineapple and milk, and it would make it home intact. The bread is so tasty, you might even pack a piece of plain bread for a mid-afternoon snack.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is : "Thank you Caroline for always making sure we've got bread!"

3 comments:

Caroline said...

You're Welcome! :)

ThePalmers said...

How did you do that fix it check list on the side of your blog... SO cool. Also, way to go Michael- if Brandt ever publicly thanked me for something, I think I would be sure to keep doing it... and with a smile!

AnnaMarie Ferrell said...

Kind of weird homage to bread...