Monday, May 18, 2009

Haircut

After much discussion over the last few months, I finally gave up and gave Calvin a haircut. It's not his first one--I've given him trims before--but it is definitely his most dramatic haircut yet. It was getting pretty gross after PBJs, which happen about 3 times a day for this kid, so I knew it would have to be soon. Michael was spot-on when he said I just liked Calvin's hair longer because I don't have a girl, but is that so wrong?

Anyways, we were in Minneapolis visiting Kelly (actually, we were mooching off of her while house-hunting, not so much visiting--THANK YOU KELLY!!!!) and I decided it was time. So while Ryan was napping I took Calvin upstairs, stripped him down and started the haircut. The longest piece Kelly had for her hair trimmer was a half inch, so I figured I would just do that one on the back and use scissors up top. The only problem was that Calvin was not unconscious, and therefore wiggled around like a crazy man. He really freaked out with the trimmers, too. So, long story short, his whole head got buzzed to a half inch. I almost cried when I saw him. Not that he isn't still cute as a button, because, believe me, he is! But I really really really missed the hair.

I wasn't the only one, either. Calvin was sitting on the kitchen floor when Ryan woke up and came into the kitchen. He gave Calvin a funny look and I knew he was confused about something, so I asked him where Calvin was. Here is how it went down:

Ryan: "I don't know, where is he?"
Me: "Uh, he's right next to you, he just got a haircut."
Ryan: Silent.
Me: "See, this is Calvin, right here."
Ryan: "No, I mean where is OUR Calvin?"
Me: "This is our Calvin, see, look at his face."
Ryan: "No it's not."
Me: "Yes it is! This is your brother."
Ryan: "No it's not."

This went on for a while, but finally, when Ryan was satified that that was, in fact, his brother, he sat down next to Calvin, put his arm around him and said, "Calvin, sorry about your haircut."

I about died laughing.

Here are some comparison shots:

Before:



After:






Still adorable, I know!

8 comments:

ThePalmers said...

Wow- he looks so much like Ryan now. SO Cute!!!

Rachel C. said...

I'm a fan of short hair cuts on little boys. And big boys for that matter. Less maintenance and easier to give haircuts!

Janelle Dobson said...

He looks adorable. They both do. So you're movin' to Minneapolis huh? Crazy. We're heading out to Chicago in 2 weeks!

AnnaMarie Ferrell said...

Oh, he's so cute. I love his shortie short haircut.

Bart said...

That's funny stuff.

Amber said...

He totally looks more like Ryan with the short hair. Especially that bottom picture. I think it's way cute. And I'm glad Ryan figured out it was still "your" Calvin, not some crazy clone.

Sharesa Larsen said...

He looks like Ryan in that last picture!

Caity said...

Oh Caroline, he is ADORABLE!