Sunday, January 4, 2009

Ryan gets punched

Ryan has taken to lying lately. It's usually absurd things where he's trying to cover up some tiny not-even-naughty thing. Like today, he was climbing under Calvin's activity table and I told him to get out. Ryan's reply was "Calvin said I can crawl under it".

Well, we're trying to nip this lying thing in the bud, so we sent him to his room.

A short while later he was allowed out and we were going to discuss how naughty it is to lie. He's been picking up on the word 'iniquity' during scripture reading lately and has seemed impressed with it, so I decided to use it.

Me : "Ryan, did you know that lying is a kind of iniquity?
Ryan, wide eyed : "Is Jesus punching me?"

Caroline and I both burst out laughing and the serious you-are-being-disciplined moment was lost. I think we can all agree that such a punishment might be effective, but is very unlikely.

For the curious, here's how it wrapped up:

Me : "Do you mean, 'Is Jesus punishing me?'?"
Ryan : "yeah"
Me : "Well, sometimes when you do naughty things mommy and daddy punish you"

That seemed to satisfy him.

2 comments:

The Olsen's said...

Cute story!! :)

AnnaMarie Ferrell said...

Yeah, don't punch him. You could get in trouble. And he'd cry.