Tuesday, April 22, 2008

More of baby Calvin!

Hi all! I decided I was feeling up to blogging this evening so here are some more pictures of our sweet little Calvin:










Ryan is very excited to be a big brother. He told me a few minutes before meeting Calvin that he was going to poke his eye and ask him what time it was. But in actuality, he held him (with my help), touched his hair and face softly, gave him kisses and asked him to hold his hand (which we helped Calvin do--Ryan was pretty excited about that.). And when Calvin yawned, Ryan got very excited and said "He's winking at me!"

So, for all those who want the birthing story, here it is:

I had been having very painful contractions yesterday morning from about 2 to 4 but they ended up stopping. Then I had them sporadically throughout the day and by about 6 or 7 they were pretty regular. So at 9:30 we dropped Ryan off at my parents' house and headed to the hospital. We were in our room by 10:15 and I was at a 3 and then had a great time feeling real-live contractions for an hour and a half or so (with Ryan my water broke and I didn't have real contractions pretty much until I had my epidural). Then I had an epidural, and let me tell you, I completely forgot how great they make you feel! All of a sudden I was happy and could talk to Michael and even sleep! Hooray!

So after the epidural, I went from about a 5 to fully dilated in about 2 and a half hours! It was awesome. Then, just as I was getting ready to push, the nurse told me she was worried about the baby's dropping heart rate and the fact that she thought the baby was posterior (face up). Just then I had a big contraction and the baby's heart rate dropped down into the 40's (it should be between 120 and 160). So the nurse started freaking out pretty much yelling for everyone to get us to the operating room, stat, yanking cords out of the wall, trying to find my doctor (ended up being in the bathroom) and the anesthesiologist (in the shower), and the other doctor to perform an emergency c-section. So, we got in there and at 2:32 AM we were saying hello to baby Calvin. Turns out the little guy also had the cord wrapped fairly tightly around his neck. So, while my attempted VBAC didn't go exactly how I planned, we are all just grateful that Calvin is a healthy, happy, beautiful little baby.

So, I guess from now on I won't have to worry about whether or not to have another c-section! Also, the doctor who performed the c-section told me while they were stitching me up, that my uterus is sort of mis-shapen which is why he thinks Calvin was posterior and that he thinks that means I would probably be more prone to needing c-sections in the future anyways.

So, there it is. At least this time I was only in labor for 4 hours before having the c-section. And I'm glad to have had the experience of going into labor on my own. Now I know what it's like!

Well, Calvin is napping here in the hospital room and Michael ran home to get a few things. Calvin is a big sweetheart and boy, he really has a good set of lungs on him. He mostly just squeaks, but when he's mad, boy you really hear about it! I love his thick head of hair and just how sweet it is to hold a newborn in my arms and think about how he is mine and how much I love him. Thanks to everyone for all the well-wishes! Hope you are all doing great, too!

7 comments:

April said...

This is Dave. Parabens! We are so happy for you guys. What a great day. I hope Calvin grows up strong, smart, and handsom... just like his father. ;)

bethany said...

He's so cute!! Congratulations!!

YAYA said...

Hey!!! Great to read your story!!! That's a pretty good thing to do after finals, since all I want is good news!!! I'm really happy for you!!! Your baby is really cute!!!Did you know little Calvin was born on Erwann's birthday??? How are you doing after all???

And you know who Yaya is, right?

AnnaMarie Ferrell said...

Aw, you are great! I'm glad that everything went so well and that you're loving your little guy!

Caity said...

Oh wow! That is quite a story. You must have been so scared! Tanner was sunny-side up, that wasn't fun to push out. Anyways...you did a great job and I'm so very happy he is healthy!

Nate, Morgan, Asher and Sayer said...

yay! i was just sitting here on my computer and wondering if you had the baby yet, and decided to try and find your blog, which i found on the first try by the way! congrats on your beautiful little calvin. i am so glad that things went better this time. sorry about the vbac, but atleast now you know!

enjoy your little one!

janaemadsen said...

I love epidurals.